Bob Effros in 1929

Bob Effros in 1929
Bob Effros (left) with Vincent Lopez Orchestra

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Summertime

Call it intituition. Call it a familiar feeling. Call it whatever you want to call it. I may have never met my great grandfather but I have come to a strong understanding that I know the man he was. Bob Effros was a hard worker who put his family above everything. He influences me to be the man of principles that I am today.

My great grandfather not only worked to live, he lived to work. Playing music was not just a job for him, but also an outlet for expression. Jazz clubs in the 1930's and '40s allowed him to earn a living doing what he loved. While these clubs did well all year round, they were particularly popular in the summertime. It is for that reason that Bob loved the summer and considered it his favorite season. That same feeling of joy and excitement has been passed down to my generation and contributes to my love of the summer as well.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Jonathan! Gershwin's song "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess was performed with Bob Effros on trumpet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for that version of "Summertime" online but it has not been placed on the web yet. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete