Bob Effros in 1929

Bob Effros in 1929
Bob Effros (left) with Vincent Lopez Orchestra

Monday, February 17, 2014

Quarters

I have always wanted to meet my Great-Grandfather. From the time I was born, I became fascinated with the man playing the trumpet in multiple pictures throughout my home. As I got older, I began to research more into the music that made Bob Effros the man he was. I can understand more about who my great grandfather was through the recordings he made within his lifetime.

Several years ago, I was visited by my Great-Grandfather in a dream. He had come to visit me in my sleep to show me a magic trick with quarters. The man appeared in a pin-stripe corduroy brown suit with a quarter in his palm. My Great Grandpa showed me how to make a two faced quarter look as though it only has one side. I'll explain the trick aspect of it all at a later point in this blog. 

When I awoke, I grabbed a quarter from my bedside and ran into the kitchen. The last thing I wanted was to forget how to do the magic trick. I approached my mother and immediately showed her what Grandpa Bob had taught me in my dream. My mother's face filled with joy and surprise as she told me that was the same magic trick Bob had showed her when she was a kid. 

I do not share this story to promote a belief in ghosts or the supernatural. This not a depiction of some special phenomena or spirituality. Instead, I share this story because it sparked a connection between my Great-Grandfather and I. The magic lives on throughout his music and that is why we want to share his legacy with the world.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful writing Jonathan! Grandpa claimed he learned that trick from Hudiani!
    You have many of Grandpa's magical qualities! xo

    ReplyDelete